Temporary Lodging














Temporary Lodging Requirements: Click Here

Temporary Lodging Application for Airbnb, Vrbo, etc: Click Here

Tourist Rooming Houses

A tourist rooming house (THR) is defined as all lodging places and tourist cabins and cottages, other than hotels and motels, in which sleeping accommodations are offered for pay to tourists or transients. It does not include private boarding or rooming houses not accommodating tourists or transients, or bed and breakfast establishments.

In general, tourist rooming house establishments are vacation homes, cabins, and cottages that are rented out to tourists and transients for a short period of time.

Under a tourist rooming house license, an operator may rent as many as four units (examples: rooms, cottages, or cabins). You will need a hotel license if you rent five or more units.



Each tourist rooming house license issued by the North Shore Health Department expires June 30 of each year.

License dates run July 1 to June 30 of the following year.

If a license is granted after April 1 of a license year, that license will extend to June 30 of the following year. 

o    Example: If a business is licensed by North Shore Health Department on April 1, 2019, then its license will expire June 30, 2​020.

Renewal fees for existing establishments shall be submitted to North Shore Health Department before June 30 each year.


​Type of Facility ​Annual License Fee ​One Time Pre-Inspection Fee
​Tourist Rooming House (1-4 Rooms)
​$110 ​$300

To obtain a license, call the North Shore Health Department at (414) 371-2980 or email [email protected].


Tourist Rooming House Dish Sanitizing Info Sheet: Click Here

Wisconsin Administrative Code, Chapter ATCP 72: Hotels, Motels, and Tourist Rooming Houses: Click Here